Dabbing is a great way to enjoy your favorite concentrates, but it's important to store them properly to ensure they stay fresh and potent. It is therefore important to learn how to store your dabs properly. Understand how to utilize our terp sauce, crumble, live resin, and more with our complete guide on how to store dabs!
Benefits of Properly Storing Concentrates
When it comes to storage, concentrates are similar to other food items in that they can go bad if not stored correctly. Concentrates, however, are much more delicate than your average food item. They can easily lose their potency, flavor, and aroma if not stored in the proper environment.
Concentrates can also be damaged by exposure to light, heat, and moisture. For this reason, it is important to store your concentrates in a cool, dark, and dry place. An airtight container is also crucial for preserving the quality of your concentrates.
There are several reasons why it is important to store your concentrates properly:
- To preserve potency: If your concentrates are not stored properly, they can quickly lose their potency. This is because exposure to light, heat, and moisture can break down the active compounds in concentrates, making them less potent.
- To preserve flavor: Proper storage can also help preserve the flavor of your concentrates. When concentrates are exposed to light, heat, and moisture, the terpenes that give them their flavor can be broken down, resulting in a loss of flavor.
- To preserve aroma: Like the flavor, the aroma of concentrates can also be affected by exposure to light, heat, and moisture. When terpenes are broken down, the aroma of the concentrates is also affected.
- To prevent waste: When concentrates go bad, they are not only less potent and flavorful, but they can also be difficult to use. This is because bad concentrates can be difficult to dab, vaporize, or otherwise consume. By storing your concentrates properly, you can prevent them from going bad and wasting your money.
- To ensure safety: Concentrates that have gone bad can also be unsafe to consume. This is because the breakdown of the active compounds in concentrates can create new, unknown chemicals that can be harmful to your health. For this reason, it is important to discard any concentrates that have been stored improperly.
How Long Can Concentrates Last?
Cannabis concentrates can last for many months, but their shelf life depends on a number of factors. These include the quality of the concentrate, the storage conditions, environmental conditions, and how the concentrates are packaged. High-quality concentrates stored in ideal conditions can last for up to a year, while lower-quality concentrates may only last for a few months.
To ensure that your concentrates stay fresh for as long as possible, it is important to store them in an airtight container in a cool, dark, and dry place.
Short-term concentrate storage
Most of us purchase concentrates to use within a short period of time. This may be a day, a week, or just a couple of weeks. If you plan on using your concentrates within this time frame, proper concentrate storage is still important. This is to slow down the natural degradation process that all cannabis concentrates go through.
Ideally, you should store your concentrates in a silicone concentrate jar. They are non-stick, meaning that your concentrates will not stick to the sides or bottom of the jar. This makes it easy to get all of your concentrate out, without leaving any behind. They are also quite affordable.
However, you must know that silicone concentrate jars are not airtight. You must therefore place the jar in a cool, dry, and dark place.
Long-term concentrate storage
If you are used to buying concentrates in bulk and plan on storing them for long periods of time, then you must take extra care when storing your concentrates.
You should place your concentrate and parchment paper in a sealed food bag. Others may opt for a vacuum-sealed bag. This will exclude as much air as possible from the bag and help prevent your concentrates from drying out.
Some concentrate users also utilize a variety of cannabis humidors. These are designed to store and cure cannabis flower. However, they can also be used to store concentrates. Cannabis humidors maintain a specific humidity level, which can help to prevent your concentrates from drying out.
When storing your concentrates for long periods of time, it is important to check on them every few months. This is to ensure that they have not dried out or gone bad.
Storage containers with opaque sides are the best option for long-term concentrate storage, as they prevent light exposure. Glass jars with metal lids are also a good option.
People in hot and humid climates often freeze their concentrates to prevent them from going bad. However, this is not the best way to store your concentrates long-term, as freezing and thawing concentrates can degrade their quality.
If you live in a hot and humid climate, it is best to store your concentrates in the refrigerator. This will help to slow down the degradation process. You must however make sure that the concentrates are in an airtight container since condensation affects the potency of cannabis concentrates.
Proper concentrate storage is important to preserve the quality and potency of your product. Cannabis concentrates should be stored under cool, dark, and dry conditions in an airtight container. Short-term storage can be done in silicone concentrate jars, while long-term storage requires the use of food-grade storage bags or containers. Those in hot and humid climates may also opt to store their concentrates in the refrigerator.